CloverETL is now CloverDX - Learn Why

Connector routing 'Dummy' Component ?

Support/help with CloverETL (4.9) and CloverDX (5.0 or newer) implementation problems

andras.csore

Connector routing 'Dummy' Component ?

Postby andras.csore » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello,

So, as i usually create Graphs with 300-400+ component, Graph can be large.
Connectors going across everywhere, especially if i 'SimpleCopy' something from the beginning of the Graph to somewhere to end of the Graph. Disturbing, and sometimes i loose the 'overview'.

Connector manual 'positioning' can be fine, but may be easier with some 'Dummy' component, what not do 'Simplecopy' just adjust the Connector line (and i can add some title on that, like 'This line holds the XY data').
We have something like that 'Dummy' component?

Note: i know, i can put 'SimpleCopy', and i can 'Disable', practically do the same.

Thanks, Andrase,

vazquezrosariop

Re: Connector routing 'Dummy' Component ?

Postby vazquezrosariop » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Andrase,

Unfortunately we don't have a dummy component per say, but I would highly recommend using the Reformat. Like you know the Reformat allows for the passing of input and output records by simply adding the following line of code:

$out.0.* = $in.0.*;

It won't matter to what connector line you add it too the records will be the same for input and output.

This will simulate a dummy component in your use case.
---
Pedro X. Vazquez Rosario
CloverCARE Support
CloverDX

Visit us online at http://www.cloverdx.com

andras.csore

Postby andras.csore » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Many Thanks, i do the reformat 'trick'
Andrase,

imriskal

Postby imriskal » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 am

I think SimpleCopy component is definitely prefered over Reformat, its overhead is much lower.

But the best approach in my opinion is to disable edge autorouting and move the edge wherever you want in the graph.
---
Lubos Imriska
CloverCARE Support
CloverDX

andras.csore

Postby andras.csore » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Yes, i agree, the 'disable edge autorouting' is the best overall.
Thanks for the SimpleCopy idea, one point it get less resource (cpu), in other hand its more resource (time) sensitive (as some disk io needed, even with 200-300MB/sec is can be time consuming). Off course, the disk and cpu need to be balance, but as 200-300MB/sec easy saturate simple SSD drives, the disk i/o is some point of view also my limiting factor to SimpleCopy usage.
Note: its can be a nice article in the help/kb, how disk i/o - storage space works in real world. My i write it once... (i already has some experience on that, i spend some hours to check it...)

imriskal

Postby imriskal » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 am

SimpleCopy does not write anything to the disk so you do not have to worry about the I/O operations.
---
Lubos Imriska
CloverCARE Support
CloverDX

andras.csore

Postby andras.csore » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Dear Lubos,

I'm not fully agree on that. Monitoring the folder (example):
\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.cloveretl.gui.runtime\runtime-work\temp\clover_temp_node01\1\
=> nice SimpleCopy related files everywhere... off course its also some connection with 'Phases', etc.
I spend quite a few hour to understand how temp files working (when i run out of disk space too much time...)
Off course, if Disabled, its a different thing, but i just not like the 'transparent' disabled connector lines...

Andrase,